10-7-16

Dear Families,

Can you believe that fall break is around the corner?  I want to thank all those parents who have let me know their schedule changes for next week.  On our ½ days I am excited to sit down and meet with many of you to share what I have seen in the classroom.   I also look forward to hearing what you have noticed at home so far this year.  I want to thank our three garden volunteers, Amy, Sarah, and Jeanette, for helping us plant our garden.  The children planted carrots, beets and lettuce.  They are very excited to see them grow.  When we come back from Fall Break, we will take a closer look at pumpkins, investigate them like a scientist, and work on some math concepts as well.  We need 5 pumpkins, if you would like to bring one on Monday, October 17th for us to use, I would appreciate it.  Please send me an email to let me know you will be bringing one in.     
       In Math, we will start unit 3, which continues our work with word problems.  This unit will include subtraction.  In language arts, we will continue to write small moment or personal narrative stories, which are stories about a small moment that happened to us.  We are working on having a beginning, a middle with 3 to 4 details and an ending for our story.  We are also working on short o sounds and reviewing the short a that we have already worked on. 
       After Fall Break, I would like to start using the computers in the classroom during math and Language Arts.  In order to do that and still have other children concentrate, I am hoping you can find a pair of ear buds to send in for your child.  I will label each child’s pair so that they only use their own.  Thank you for sending them in.
       I hope everyone has a wonderful Fall Break.  Have a great weekend!


                                    Mrs. Berk