9-16-16

Dear Families,

       Great news – our classroom routines are really coming together!  During the Daily 5 time the children are writing stories each day, practicing spelling, and reading on their own.  Currently I am helping them track what they do during each work period, but eventually they will track their progress each day.  In math, we will finish up our unit on addition today and next week we will start our first unit on geometry.  For science, we finished up our discussion on healthy bodies and will start our unit on plants next week.  Hopefully you have had many good conversations about what they have learned about healthy habits. 
       We have been reading and working on making connections to the books we read.  We read several books by the author Mem Fox.  We will continue to work on skills that make strong readers.  We do this through both comprehension and word skills.  Homework will continue working on making connections with the stories we read.
       I have made a conference time with almost everyone.  Once I have completed that task, I will then start sending out reminders for the times that you signed up for.  If something has changed in your schedule, please let me know and we can try to adjust.  This time is just a quick chat (about 15 minutes) to talk about the work your child is doing so far and to address any concerns you or I have for your child.  If there is something specific that you are looking for before you come in, please respond back to the email that I send you, so I can have the data in front of me when we meet.  I don’t want to take up our short time together searching for paperwork.
     Please look online for class homework starting Monday!

                      Have a great weekend!


                                    Mrs. Berk