Dear Families,
      We had a busy week this past week.  We finished many of our beginning of the year assessments.  The students worked independently on tasks while I worked individually with children.  There was some talking but overall the class did well at this task.  Many of the papers in your child’s folder today will be from those tasks.  They were review or following direction type tasks.  I did look over all the papers they did, but I only commented on a few of them.  In your child’s folder are also all of the morning math problems that we did.  I will comment on those papers every time.  We are still working on what my expectations are when working on the morning math problems.  Eventually these problems will be solved in morning journals.
The children are doing very well in learning the expectations of independent reading and writer’s workshop.  Both of these activities are part of the Daily 5 that make up our Language Arts time.  I will explain how this works at the Curriculum Night.
Speaking of Curriculum Night, it is at 6 pm on Wednesday.  It is just for parents so that we can talk about what the children will learn this year and our classroom expectations.  It starts at 6 pm in the Library.  We will talk about general first grade information there.  Then we will head to our classroom where I will talk for a little longer and answer questions you have.  This is not a time to talk about your child specifically.  I will have the October sign up for conferences available at that time or we can meet sooner if need be. 
Your children received homework today! It is due Friday.  Please keep the homework sheet and send the folders back tomorrow (Tuesday). After today, homework will come home every Friday and be due the following Friday.
This will be the last paper newsletter.  Starting Friday, I will start post newsletters on our class website.  I will pass out that information Wednesday night and have computers open so you can sign up to receive updates when I post something.

See you Wednesday!
      

Mrs. Berk